Friday, September 2, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Imagine your friends and your parents being  disappointed because you came home from college with a degree but no husband. This perfectly describes Skeeter, one of the main characters of The Help. At the peak of the Civil Rights movement, Skeeter tells the world what is really happening behind the closed doors of households in Jackson, Mississippi.

On a personal note, reading the book reminded me of my childhood in the fifties. Because my divorced mom worked full-time, she hired a maid to care for my brother, sister, and me. I now wonder what tales her community heard about our family.

The Help highlights the shame of America's racism and is considered by some to be a new classic.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED this movie!!! I'm working on the book now and can't wait to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book over the summer and absolutely LOVED IT. The characters come alive to me. I have also seen the movie, was also very well done.

    ReplyDelete